Search
  • Angel Johnson Williams

Do You Have A Carbon Monoxide Detector In Your Restaurant or Home?

Updated: Apr 29




Most of us have heard of carbon monoxide poising, but for those who have not, let me start with what carbon monoxide is. According to the CDC "carbon monoxide or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you. It is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized."


As a restaurant owner you may not have thought about the possibility of a CO leak in your kitchen, but it's possible. It happened in Wisconsin in 2017 at an industrial kitchen. Workers were unaware that they were breathing in carbon monoxide because it's a silent killer. The CDC recommends having your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. This applies to homes and restaurants. It is also important for restaurants to have proper ventilation and make sure their ventilation system is properly maintained. Hurricane season is quickly approaching and many of us may have to use our generators. Just like our cars, our generator let off CO, so it is very important that we use them safely. They are never to be used in a garage that is attached to your home, even if you have doors and windows open.


According to the CDC the most common systems of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. The first step to preventing CO poisoning at home or work is being informed, the second is to purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector that will alert you if there is CO detected. Please be safe and take precautions to prevent you or a loved one from falling victim to the silent killer.





4 views
 

Subscribe Form

252-284-0066/ 252-312-9907

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

©2019 by Angel's Fire Protection. Proudly created with Wix.com